The powder coating basically involves a dry finishing process which is basically created by an electric charge. The procedure helps to fuse the dry powder on the metal surface. It is then baked inside a churry oven so that it achieves that smooth coating, which will give a hard finish. This type of finish is tougher when compared to conventional paint.
An important thing to note here is that the metal powder coating comes without any liquid carrier. This indicates that they would be able to produce thicker coatings than the conventional liquid ones, that too, without any sagging or running. Here, the difference in appearance is minimal, especially between the horizontal and vertical coating surfaces.
What Are The Types Of Powder Coatings Available?
There are basically two types of powder coatings available, namely thermosets and thermoplastics.
The thermoset powder basically forms a chemical bond once cured. This makes it impossible to recycle the product. This type of surface finish is perfectly suitable for areas with a high temperature because the bonds prevent them from melting away. It is way cheaper when compared to the thermoset variant.
Talking about the thermoplastic powder coating, they become soft and acquire a liquid consistency when heated. This helps in the elimination of chemical bonding, which makes the powder reversible and reusable. They are quite thick and more durable.
What Are The Advantages Of Powder Coating?
There are many benefits of opting for the metal powder coating, like:
- In addition, a wide range of finishes can be achieved through this procedure.
- Apart from enhancing the appearance, it also enhances different properties of the metal, like corrosion resistance, scratch resistance, chipping, etc.
- The powder coating is a long-lasting and economical finish on metal. It also offers good durability when it comes to high-quality coloured finishes.
- With this coating, you can expect a consistent colour finish throughout the material with this coating.
- In addition, as mentioned earlier, this one comes with a thicker coating that does not run or sag.
- The coating is non-toxic and less flammable when compared to the spray paint finishes.
Unlike liquid coatings, the powder coating procedure on metal uses the liquid coating suspension. This is a dry finishing process wherein powdered coating materials are applied. During the process, the powder is basically added to the pre-treated surface, and then it is melted, followed by drying, and then hardened to form a protective or decorative coating.
Thus, it can be said that powder coatings give the best result when we are talking about metal fabrication. If you have not used this coating yet, it is definitely worthy of a try. It would give a great finish on the metal and improve its aesthetics.